3.02.2012

Fashion Goals 2012

I just wrote this on my Facebook page, and wanted to share it on here as well.

For those who know me on a personal level you can attest to the fact that I'm not your average "girly-girl" due to what kind of upbringing I had. For those who don't, I'll give you a short rundown.  I don't wear a TON of makeup, I hardly ever get hair or nails did, or shop for myself, and everything I've learned has been through friends, and high school experiences.  I don't know a lot about beauty so that's why my makeup drawer is pretty bare, I don't own a curling iron (anymore),and my closet isn't very full at all so I keep wearing pretty much the same thing all the time.  

But this year that's changing.  I've decided that I want to find my inner girly-girl, and embrace my inner and outer beauty in a way I haven't done so before.  I've been making small steps to get used to it, and set a few goals for myself.  This list is a mismosh of what I've done so far, and what I still want to do.  Feel free to add any suggestions, or feedback.  Like I said I'm kind of doing this on my own with no clue so I could use any advice.

1)  I took my horseshoes (gauged earrings) out finally.  I wanted to wear small posts in my second hole so I could showcase more decorative/fancy earrings in the first hole.  Plus I'm not an 18 yr. old skater/punk-wannabe anymore :-P

2)  Stepping out of my comfort zone.  First with accessories, and then with clothes.  I recently bought a few sets of earrings that I normally would have just looked past on the display, but life is about taking chances.  And I've realized that with my style as well.  I'm not talking drastic risks, but incorporating funky earrings or patterns that I would have never thought looked good, but actually do.  This makes me very happy.

3)  Painting my nails on a weekly basis.  Now this is for my hands.  I NEVER go without painting my toes, but because I work in retail which is very hands-on, a manicure never lasts but a few days.  I'm so tight with my money that I rarely get a mani/pedi unless it's a special occsion so I do it myself.  But I've made an effort to paint my nails which I've featured new colors in a few posts.  I really need to expand the color palette of my current selection, and want to explore more options.

4) Wearing gold jewelry.  My most recent post featured this, and for those who know I don't really care for gold, but I know it's vital to have, and so far I like it.  It's a nice change, and sometimes I'll wear both gold and silver despite the myth it's bad luck to do so.

5)  Having more color and pattern choices.  I love me some stripes don't get me wrong, but honestly I'm tired of them.  I need more, and have added a few pieces that are patterned, and now I have opened a fashion can of worms.  Now when I'm on the hunt it's all I look for.  And with color anything that is not puke green or some awful tone I'm all for.  Gots to have my color!



6) I'm still on the hunt for many basic pieces.  I have quite a few, but still lacking in some major areas.  I really want some khaki and white shorts for the upcoming summer.  Adding to that list dresses and skirts.  The latter will be a challenge since I've never been big on them, but like I've said before they're vital in a girl's wardrobe.

So far this is what I've come up with.  If you have any advice please say something.  I'm not trying to change who I am as a person, just making it better :)