12.31.2013

Attainable Goals

Happy New Year!!  I know I say it a lot, but where does the time go?  I guess the saying "Time flies when you're having fun" is true.  2013 was a blast for sure, and I'm excited to see what 2014 has in store.  Normally I'm not this optimistic, but it's a change that I'm trying to implement in to my everyday life.

Over the years I've had friends, and even strangers tell me I need to smile more, or that I need to not be such a pessimist. For one I didn't realize my dazed, or expressionless face carried such a sour look.  Maybe that's my inner Grumpy Cat coming out.  But honestly I don't mean to look mean...it just happens??

The pessimist part I do agree with.  Yes I will admit I don't always look at that bright side of things.  Now I don't imagine the most catastrophic scenario, but I try to keep a "realist" approach to my everyday living which ends up me being a Debbie Downer.  Life is too short to always look at the downside or the glass as half empty.  So as one of my goals I've set for myself in 2014 I'm going to be more optimistic.  I'm just starting a day early :)

I say goals because "resolutions" seems so cliche and synonymous with New Years, and it seems resolutions are seen now somewhat in a negative light.  You start it, and by the time February or March hits, it's out the window and you're back to old ways.  These goals that I've set seem to be pretty attainable, and it's more on the lines that I just want to be a better person, and live a better life.  Some are for health, others are for personal satisfaction, and just overall happiness. 

  • Quit smoking.  I know what you're thinking.  Almost everyone who smokes that wants to quit attempts it this time of year.  In actuality I've cut my smoking back in half over the past 2 weeks.  I had a nasty chest/head cold, and went over 36 hours without any nicotine.  This was major for me.  And being sick really got my motivation going to cut it out completely.  I always told myself I want to quit before I turn 30 or if I get pregnant whichever one comes first.  I still don't know which one of those will come first, but I'm ready to be done with it FOR GOOD!! 
  • Cook more.  Normally when I "make" dinner it's usually out of a box, or something I've thrown in the oven.  Yesterday I posted my first (I think) recipe using my new crock pot, and it has inspired me to make more homemade meals.  I'm not saying I'm going to turn into Suzy Homemaker, but I enjoy food in every way, and cooking is a great stress reliever.  If you don't follow me on Pinterest I have a pretty gnarly board on food.  
  • Act upon when my creative juices strike.  I can't tell you how many days I would have off from work, be bored out of my mind, and then all of the sudden I wanted to make things.  Only problem is I wouldn't have ANY of the resources (spray paint, mod podge, etc.) around, and alas I'd have to put off a possible project for another day.  This year if I'm in the mood to do something I need to get up, and be like Nike...JUST DO IT!!!!
  • Increase my credit score/pay off debt.  Thanks to the TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars of student loan debt I incurred my chances of buying a car or house are pretty much slim to none.  This HAS to change not only because of the fact we are a one-car family, but because that one car is old, and may kill over at any second.  This could be catastrophic, however we would do what we can to make things work.  Like probably the rest of you I'm sick of receiving collection notices, and numerous phone calls about debts.  So I've decided that I'm going to suck it up, be a big girl, and just starting paying on what I can.  I've looked into the Dave Ramsey programs, but the fact I don't have the money upfront to pay for his services is the problem.  I'm thinking part of my tax return will be going to this, and I pray that I can finally get out from underneath this burden!!  I haven't set an actual dollar amount to how much I want to pay, but I do know how high I would like to increase my credit score (which I'm not going to disclose on here obviously).
  • Just be a happier, more optimistic, overall better person.  I need to thing outside of the box a little more, and step out of my comfort zone as well.  This is pretty much for all aspects of my life.  Whether it's buying a patterned shirt, or adding a new home decor piece, or trying something new I need to just let go, and embrace whatever it is I'm doing or like.  That doesn't mean I'm doing a complete 180. Just living more on the edge ;)
All in all these goals seem pretty attainable.  Nothing too crazy, and something that will give me a challenge.  I could probably add on a dozen more to this list, but pacing myself seems like a fair start.  I hope this year brings all of you great joy, and good tidings, and that you achieve any goal or resolution you set for yourself!!  Happy New Year!!!