3.24.2014

Scrapbook Paper Vase Silhouette Art

Do you ever have one of those DIY projects that was going so well, and then all of the sudden it goes horribly wrong?  This was my first project using spray paint, and Mod Podge, and I'm not gonna lie I was a little intimidated by it all.  It's kinda scary using this stuff for the first time.   One of the first things I did was check out a few of the blogs I follow who use these items, and do plenty of research, product reviews, and even tutorial videos to make sure I was doing everything correctly.  I still didn't know what to expect so I jumped in head first because I was so excited this was my first "real" DIY project.  Go me!

So here's how it all got started.  I had linked up to a party through Carrie This Home, and found this project from Tiny Sidekick.  It's such a simple project (or so I thought at first), and it was a great way for me to incorporate some color into my drab looking living room.  I've had a "dark" picture hanging above my couch for quite some time now that I had been dying to change out.  It was becoming more of an eyesore than a piece of art, and it just had to go.  The frame is cherry/cedar laminate wood, and here is the picture it came with:


It is pretty, but like I said "dark".  The back side is plain white, and you can't see the picture through the paper.  It's not as thick as poster board or card stock so I figured I could use it as the background, and it'd be okay.  This is where I should have done some more research...more on that soon.

A trip to Michael's later I ended up with 5 sheets of scrapbook paper (for a $1!!), some MP, spray paint, and foam brushes.  I couldn't wait to get started on this, and began spray painting the frame with a high-gloss white.


No I did not spray paint this inside.  I know better.  This was taken the day after since it was too cold to leave outside overnight otherwise the paint would have crackled.  Not too shabby for my first time spray painting.  I had to do (and still need to do) a few touch-ups, but I was already pleased with how the frame was coming about.

A few days later I started on the jar silhouettes.  First I googled "jar silhouettes", and there's quite a few to choose from.  However most of them have to be purchased through clip art/stock websites.  Ain't nobody got time for that so I made things a little easier, and harder.  Instead I googled vases.  Easy right?  BUT I don't have a printer so this is where I went old school.  I blew the pic up to size, grabbed some notebook paper, and traced out the stencil.  One of the stencils is from a picture I took of a vase I already own.  Hard, yes I know.



I finally got the stencils traced, and cut out, and repeated the process on the backside of the 3 pieces of scrapbook paper I used.  So far so good...and then it went downhill.



I began with the back of the middle stencil, and slapped on some MP.  It started to curl up so I immediately placed it on the paper where I had the tick marks for it, and my heart sank before my eyes.  It bubbled up.  There were wrinkles.  It was The. Worst.  I grabbed the nearest flat edged object I could find (which was an Old Navy gift card lol), and started to smooth out the wrinkles.  It helped, but not enough to get all of them out.  I was completely devastated.  It was all going so well, and then it blew up in my face.  I didn't know what to do except put everything down, walk away, and mope the rest of the night. Haha.

After some research, friends' advice, and video tutorials I made a trip back to Michael's.  This time it was spray adhesive, and a brayer.  I now know I should have used the adhesive on the back of the paper, and THEN use MP over the paper after it's been placed.  And obviously the brayer for no more wrinkles/bubbles.  So with a new hope I went back, and this time I conquered!!  Here is the finished result hanging on my wall!!


Not too bad for my first use of crafting supplies, right?  I'm pretty proud of myself, and can't wait to do some more crafting!!  I already have a few ideas in mind (insert evil laugh here) which will give me more time to practice!

I'm off to enjoy some free time from work...have a fabulous day!!

Linked up to  Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop 69
 http://carriethishome.com/2014/03/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-69/